Thursday, June 30, 2011

After a long day of traveling...

I am absolutely exhausted.  I'm sorry I haven't been updating much, I've literally had no free time when it's not after curfew :P.  I will attempt to give you a quick run-through of the past few days...

So Tuesday and Wednesday we trained....and trained, and trained, and trained some more.  But it was still super fun and we had a lot of fun together as a team getting to know each other.  Yesterday we finished training earlier than any of the other teams so I just hung out with my roommates and some other people from my team.  Everyone on my team is so much fun and the roommates I had in Ft. Lauderdale and I grew so close in such a short amount of time.  I was supposed to have a lobby time of 7AM, but around 10PM last night, Barbara (one of my leaders) came in to our room and informed us that our flights were changed, so we had a lobby time of 3:30AM.  At that point, I still had all of my packing to do, and a shower to take, and all that fun stuff, so I only got two hours of sleep.  NOT a good idea...

This morning, my roommates and I went down to the lobby and I was informed that, once again, my flight was changed.  A bunch of us were on the same flight down to a city whose name I can't for the life of me spell.  It's pronounced guy - a - keel.  We had a layover there, but then after that, I was on a flight with 10 other people, none of whom are on my team.  Needless to say, that wasn't exactly the news I wanted to hear, but I dealt with it and got on the bus.  After quite a few unfortunate events, my morning was already awful once we got to the airport, but it only got worse. 

Out of nowhere, I felt ridiculously sick.  I was nauseous, lightheaded, and I felt like I was going to pass out.  It was the worst feeling ever.  I wasn't even able to stand up.  Thank goodness I have amazing team leaders who carried my bags and prayed for me.  I was given a bottle of water, and then once we got through security I got some yogurt at a little restaurant (which I left in the pocket of my backpack and then exploded all over the place so I had a sticky mess to clean up when I got to the hotel).  Times like that really made me appreciate having loving team leaders and really made me appreciate my parents. 

I ended up getting along really well with the girls from other teams who were on my flight, and we had a lot of fun in the airport together.  God sure has a funny way of working things out, but I'm thankful for that.  After a ridiculously long day, I finally arrived at the hotel.  It's freaking GORGEOUS.  Everything is huge and the rooms are amazing.  It's crazy to think this is my home for the next week or so. 

I ate dinner, talked to an awesome friend from last year for a bit, and then had an amazing conversation with one of my roomies.  I'm so thankful for the people God has blessed me with.  I'm also thankful for God's amazing timing.  Last night, there was a message about perserverance.  Boy, did I need that today!

Well, tomorrow is our first day of ministry.  Please pray for my team as a lot of them are still traveling here, and won't arrive until late tonight.  Also for culture shock, because everything is SO different here.  I'll post more about the culture differences later on, but right now, I need to get some sleep (my roomie is currently falling asleep on the computer table next to me). 

I love you all!  Thanks for all the prayers and support.  God is good. 

-Heather

1 comment:

  1. wow - sounds like a pretty crazy travel day for you! So glad you feel better and sooo excited for you now that you all are in Ecuador!!! Can't wait to hear all about the missions days later. :) TAKE lots and lots of pictures!!!!!

    xoxox praying for you!

    ReplyDelete